Enter the Epicness

September 6, 2011

Grammar Homework (With Corrections)

NOTE: THE CORRECTIONS ARE IN ORANGE!

1) Diffenence in That, Who and Which at the beginning of a phrase.


WHO. refers to one person or a group of people.
       Ana Maria was at Thailand with her friends who are helping her do charity for survivers of the tsunami.
       John was at the mall with his friend whose parents died in a car crash.
      Correctly Used: Manuel is the boy who scored the most points in the basketball game. 
      Incorrectly Used: Pasaporte was the horse who stepped on my hand.
THAT. refers to a thing.
       My friend went to the Teotihuacan pyramids that were home to the Aztecs.
       I went to Providencia that has the world's third largest coral reef.
      Correctly Used: The stingray that was in Cartagena was the one that stung my dad in the foot.
      Incorrectly Used: He was the person that was accused for stealing King Tut's tomb.
WHICH. can also refer to a thing like a word.
       I am a biped which also means I walk on two feet.
       He is vacuous which also means he is an unintelligent person.
      Correctly Used: The answers for the math problems, which are at the back of the book, are always correct.
      Incorrectly Used: Maria is the student which ate the most pies in 12 minutes. 

2)  Run-on sentences are really long sentences that do not have the proper use of commas, semicolons or colons and that can be interpreted in different ways.

An example of a run-on is:

     My friend and I went to the mall to buy shoes and we passed Adidas Nike Asics and New Balance but we couldn't find the right size so we do not know know what to do.

A run-on sentence is two or more independent variables joined incorrectly.


3) Compound Sentence: A compound sentence is a single sentence that combines two or more independent clauses with a conjunction. (FANBOYS)
     Examples.
                    I went to France, and I adored the bread and cheese served in Paris.
                    Pedro played soccer, so I played volleyball.

   Complex Sentence: A complex sentence is a single sentence that combines a dependent clause with an independent clause.
    Examples.
                  Before playing Minecraft, I have to do homework.
                  When I went to Torreladera, I scored three goals playing polo.

A sentence that correctly combines two dependent clauses with the use of a semicolon

No comments:

Post a Comment